Friday, May 20, 2005

What do they think they are accomplishing ?

It's getting down to the end of the school year again and once again we find our selves preparing to jump through more governmental hoops involving the kids education. For those of you who may not know, Pennsylvania is one of the most heavily regulated states when it comes to homeschooling. I often find myself wondering what exactly it is that the state is hoping to accomplish by imposing so many restrictions and demands on home teachers. For the record, I don't particularly care to be labeled a "homeschooler or hometeacher" I am simply a parent doing what I feel is is part of my job ... making sure that my children are prepared to be responsible productive members of society. I have heard most of the arguments and "compelling reasons" put forth by the state as to why we should be so regulated ... for our own good of course, they must keep up with the progress of our children so that if they fall behind the kids can be tossed back into the public school and "fixed" to the states liking. These are the same people who promote children who fail to achieve any thing even close to a minimum GPA so as not to damage their self esteem. This is the same state that regularly graduates seniors who are lucky if they can read at a fifth grade level. Schools in Pennsylvania are congratulated every year and are considered to have made 'Adequate Yearly Progress' if 35 percent of its students are considered proficient in math and 45 percent in reading. So if your school has 400 students the state considers it successful if 140 of those students can read and and do basic math adequately. And the state worries about my kids !!!!

No comments: