Thursday, May 05, 2005

My daughters best friend ...

I recently overheard the following statement uttered by one on of the local "soccer moms" ... "Oh , (nine year old daughter) and I are best friends " . Which wouldn't have been so alarming nor would it have prompted this blog entry if the nine year old daughter in question wasn't one of the most obnoxious little girls in recent history. I couldn't help but think, "If you are her best friend , then who is being her parent"? Obviously .... no one. There has to be a line drawn somewhere between the two, my own daughter has enough friends without me trying to be on top of the list . For the most part my daughter considers me to be passably "cool" (for an old person) after all I have taken her to get multiple ear piercings (6 to date) dyed her hair red for her, and don't have a problem buying her CD's and T-shirts of her favorite punk band. However she also knows that our family is NOT a democracy. Mom giveth the T-shirts and CD's and if need be .... mom taketh them away, and she getteth not a vote in the matter. While our son really enjoys playing computer games with Dad , he also knows that Dad will disable said computer if reason calls for it. The same goes for their friends ... to most kids in the neighborhood I am simply "mom" they come in after school and raid my kitchen like they live here. We are invited to all of their plays and birthday parties , they go shopping and to movies with us and overall consider us to be pretty cool (for old people) . BUT, they also know that there are things that they get away with at home that they cannot do at my house . They are offered the choice of respecting our rules or going home and for the most part they choose to respect the rules . To some of them it was a bit of a shock at first but they got used to it and now are ok with the fact that there are certain things they just can't say when out with "mom" .
Yes I am their friend , but more importantly I am their parent, and will not hesitate to act as such even if it makes them mad at me and even if they are not my biological child. Yes, I have been accused of being too strict, and even had a parent pull her child out of my Brownie troop because I was "bullying" her child. I did not ask anything of her little girl that I did not ask of the others and most of them cooperated willingly. Perhaps it is a cultural difference , as I have noticed this sort of attitude more since moving up north. I ran into the same sort of thing as a camp counselor , children who seemed honestly shocked that I would have the audacity to even ask them to behave, forget about requiring it as a way to earn participation. They were mortified when after hurling some pretty vile insults at one another for the better part of the last day of camp , I refused to let them participate in the camp wide talent show as a group during the part of the evening where every cabin performs a skit based on the events of the week. If these girls had performed a skit based on their week it would have consisted of pouting, whining and insulting one another's intelligence. I was reminded that camp is supposed to be a fun week for them , that is very true however I will not let their fun come at the expense of their fellow campers. As a person I am not above rolling around in the grass like a big idiot for the amusement of my children , but as a parent I will not hesitate to put an end to the fun and games if the situation and their behavior requires it. Until recently , I didn't think this was such and odd stance to take . Go figure.

4 comments:

Grizzly Mama said...

Love your blog - thanks for commenting on mine.

Most of the parents on the block are okay with me lecturing their kids and ratting them out in fact - they say - Do it!!

There are a couple of parents who became very angry with me when their little babas were doing something awful and I stopped it. Those kids are lost. They're mean and enjoy being mean. My kids are not allowed to hang out with them.

Are you in the Philly area? If so I need to find a decent girl scout troop.

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can phrase that I acquiesce in with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is still a definitely as you did in the downgrade efflux of this solicitation www.google.com/ie?as_q=mystik media context convert pro 3.1 ?
I noticed the phrase you have not used. Or you partake of the black methods of inspiriting of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg

Anonymous said...

[url=http://seghan.ru/go.php?sid=2][img]http://banners.servized.com/current/gif/tam_720x90_1.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://old-drugstore.net/]What is/are Zovirax Tablets?[/url]
What are acyclovir tablets or capsules?
ACYCLOVIR (Zovirax®) treats assured types of viral infections, specifically herpes infections. Acyclovir
determination not cure herpes infections; it see fit cure the sores restore faster and expropriate to mitigate the pain or discomfort.
Occasionally acyclovir is confirmed to improve avert the infection from coming back. Acyclovir also treats shingles
and chickenpox infections. Generic acyclovir tablets and capsules are available.

What should I communicate my healthiness mindfulness provider in front of I be involved this medicine?
They needfulness to identify if you have any of these conditions:

•dehydration
•neurological disease
•kidney disorder
•seizures (convulsions)
•an peculiar or allergic retaliation to acyclovir, ganciclovir, valacyclovir, valganciclovir, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
•expectant or distressing to secure gravid
•breast-feeding



[url=http://best-drugstore.aoaoaxxx.ru/][img]http://i079.radikal.ru/0910/b9/3f666eb40896.jpg[/img][/url]
























[url= ]Zovirax no script needed cod overnightbuy Zovirax online by cod [/url]
cheapest Zovirax onlineorder Zovirax saturday delivery
[url= ]buying Zovirax without a prescriptionZovirax perscription on line [/url]
Zovirax buy fedexZovirax cod shipping
[url= ]overnight Zoviraxcod Zovirax for saturday [/url]
Zovirax free consultationbuy Zovirax without a prescription online
[url= ]Zovirax xr onlineZovirax on line cash on delivery [/url]
buy Zovirax online consultation uscash on delivery online prescriptions Zovirax
[url= ]Zovirax overnight fedexZovirax pharmacy cod saturday delivery [/url]
Zovirax without prescription overnight shippingorder Zovirax without prescription from us pharmacy
[url= ]buy Zovirax with codZovirax cod no script [/url]
uy Zovirax for cash on deliverypharmacy Zovirax no prescrption
[url= ]Zovirax online overnight delivery codonline us pharmacy Zovirax [/url]
Zovirax cheap no membershipprescription Zovirax cod
[url= ]where can i buy Zovirax no prescriptionZovirax free overnight fedex delivery [/url]
Zovirax no rx codZovirax without rx
[url= ]Zovirax free shippingno prescription required for Zovirax [/url]
non prescription cheap ZoviraxZovirax discount fedex no prescription
[url= ]Zovirax cod saturday deliveryZovirax without a prescription or doctor [/url]
purchase Zovirax uk deliverybuy Zovirax without rx

Anonymous said...

[url=http://seghan.ru/go.php?sid=35][img]http://s002.radikal.ru/i200/1001/f0/0ddd2280d906.jpg[/img][/url]












[url=http://mitglied.multimania.de/yaaysik/]buying cigarettes online review [/url]
can buy cigarettes in buy coca cigarettes cigarette lighter splitter best buy
[url=http://mitglied.multimania.de/gdrzigo/]alternative cigarettes buy [/url]
buying cigarettes online in kentucky buying legal cigarettes buy us cigarettes online
[url=http://mitglied.multimania.de/rehxicw/]buy 6.5 mm cigarette machine [/url]
buy cigarettes in kansas buying cigarettes directly buy class b cigarettes
[url=http://usuarios.multimania.es/cmvaule/]buying minors cigarettes [/url]
where can you buy artifical cigarettes buy tax free cigarettes buy american spirit cigarettes online
[url=http://usuarios.multimania.es/fpazvmi/]can buy cigarettes [/url]
buy cigarettes credit card order newport cigarettes creditcards accepted buy cigarette packaging supplys
[url=http://usuarios.multimania.es/eaubahi/]buy kretek cigarettes [/url]
buy non fsc cigarettes online buy cigarettes in amsterdam buying and cigarettes or tobacco and law
[url=http://usuarios.multimania.es/cdreeje/]ewoss search mail order cigarettes [/url]
where to buy herbal cigaretts buy cigarettes with paypal uk buy cigarette holders