Tuesday, April 26, 2005

One paddle short of a regatta ???

This little tidbit comes from the undeniably warped mind of fundamentlist parenting "expert" Mr. James Dobson in his book "The Strong Willed Child" . . .
"At eleven o'clock that night, I told Siggie (the family dachsund) to go get into his bed, which is a permanent enclosure in the family room. For six years I had given him that order at the end of each day, and for six years Siggie had obeyed.
On this occasion, however, he refused to budge. You see, he was in the bathroom, seated comfortably on the furry lid of the toilet seat. That is his favorite spot in the house, because it allows him to bask in the warmth of a nearby electric heater. When I told Sigmund to leave his warm seat and go to bed, he flattened his ears and slowly turned his head toward me. He deliberately braced himself by placing one paw on the edge of the furry lid, then hunched his shoulders, raised his lips to reveal the molars on both sides, and uttered his most threatening growl. That was Siggie's way of saying. "Get lost!"
"I had seen this defiant mood before, and knew there was only one way to deal with it. The ONLY way to make Siggie obey is to threaten him with destruction. Nothing else works. I turned and went to my closet and got a small belt to help me 'reason' with Mr. Freud. What developed next is impossible to describe. That tiny dog and I had the most vicious fight ever staged between man and beast. I fought him up one wall and down the other, with both of us scratching and clawing and growling and swinging the belt. I am embarrassed by the memory of the entire scene. Inch by inch I moved him toward the family room and his bed. As a final desperate maneuver, Siggie backed into the corner for one last snarling stand. I eventually got him to bed, only because I outweighed him 200 to 12!"

What kind of neurotic control freak does this to the family pet ?? Wouldn't it have been much simpler and much more humane to pick up the dog and and place him in the kennel ?? So by his standards if a toddler gets comfy on the sofa in the evening and doesn't want to go to bed I should go and get my belt and beat him down the hall with it untill he crawles into the crib himself to get away from me and my belt . It would in my mind be much simpler and more humane to pick up the child and place him in the crib . I can only imagine the emtional state of this man's children. Did he 'reason' with them like he did Siggy every time they didn't want to eat their peas ? But wait... there's more ... not only does Mr. Dobson feel that the family pet should be beaten into submission , it seems he advocates the breaking and subduing of your infant's will ...
"[I]t is possible to create a fussy, demanding baby by rushing to pick him up every time he utters a whimper or sigh. Infants are fully capable of learning to manipulate their parents through a process called reinforcement, whereby any behavior that produces a pleasant result will tend to recur. Thus, a healthy baby can keep his mother hopping around his nursery twelve hours a day (or night) by simply forcing air past his sandpaper larynx."
Babies cry , that is their only form of communication , I suppose he taught his children from birth to come right out and ask for what ever it was that they needed , and not to bother him for anything so trivial as human company or comfort . My children were carried almost constantly from birth and they have yet to murder any one OR beat the family dog with a belt !!!!!
I do believe some one in this story of Mr. Dobson's should be living in a kennel and it isn't Siggy the dog !!!!

No comments: