Wednesday, August 03, 2005

The Great Sunday School Rebellion

We had a planning meeting for the Christian Education Dept. Monday evening and as the Chris. Ed. Director, I was obliged to attend. What a disaster that turned into . Does anyone out there have the secret to getting dedicated volunteers ? What is so terrifying about elementary aged children that makes my congregation refuse to volunteer to teach Sunday School ? The two teachers that I have for that age group have been teaching for a number of years and have been very flexible and committed to the program, however they are getting ready for a change of the guard more or less . They informed me if I didn't come up with at least two more teachers , so that they would only have to teach every other Sunday, that they are gonna quit. I am willing to jump in and teach that age group (I have done it before) so really I only need one person who would commit to teach every other Sunday. Priest , to her credit, was trying to help come up with a solution which so far is begging from the pulpit . YouthGuy and PostulantWoman were carrying on their own little conversation in their own little world paying no heed to what we were trying to work out. I'm thinking perhaps next time I should let those two just have their own meeting. It would have been real nice if one of them could have volunteered to teach one of the younger classes , they could alternate. But in retrospect, I have never seen either one of them very eager to work with the younger guys . They both have a "passion for the youth" instead , fine and wonderful except that we only have two "youths" in our "youth Dept" who show up on a regular basis. I'm praying for some Divine intervention, until it comes, I think I'm gonna break out the church directory and start begging.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, been there, you have my sympathy.

Cathy said...

I don't know what to say about volunteering. It seems to be chronic and it seems to not have happened overnight. I am perplexed by the mentality of wanting to always be served today instead of serving. Those that DO serve, serve until they can serve no longer. You do have my sympathy - I have been there!
Cathy

Anonymous said...

cool. hope it works out!