Saturday, February 12, 2005

Called for what ?

Ok , here comes one of those very unpopular , politically incorrect opinions of mine . I know several people who are currently answering what they perceive as a "call" from God . You know the one ... We have all had it at one point or another to some degree or another . Well it isn't any calling that I have issue with , but how they choose to answer it . I'm not sure if it is the church that I am more upset with or the individuals themselves . For those of you who may have no idea what it takes to answer a call to ordination in the Episcopal church check out the cannons of your diocese . It requires that a family give up major amounts of time and money . There are denominations out there that do all that they can to help those who feel that they are being led to ordained leadership , ours however seems to take the position that if the church throws everything at them that there is to throw and suck up every bit of spare time and every spare penny that a family may have and the family survives , then they may be worthy of ordination . Yes we as Episcopalian do ordain women , but in return we demand that they basically give up their families to do so . This is where I get really disappointed in people . (men and women) when I have to watch their children take a back seat to jumping through canonical hoops . It's not right ... I don't think God ever intended for people to put the church ahead of the emotional and financial welfare of their families . To those of you who might be going through the "process" now or for those of you who may be considering it , PLEASE think of your children ... They will only be children once !!! When they are grown up , you can't get them back . The church will be still be around when they are grown . ( and you will probably have more spare change)

1 comment:

The Archer of the Forest said...

Oh how incredibly right you are. I'm in the process, but luckily I am young and single. I have fellow seminarians with spouses and kids, and I have no earthly idea how they do it.

I honestly think if I had been married, I would have had to tell God no. There is no way I would drag somebody I loved through "the Process."